Neopterin/Biopterin Profile by Metametrix are by-products of the redox reactions involving tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4). BH4 functions as a cofactor for the enzymes responsible for the production of monoamine neurotransmitters (epinephrine, norepinephrine, DOPA, serotonin), and as a cofactor in nitric oxide production.1,2 Low biopterin levels may reflect insufficient BH4 status.
- Purchase on our secure website.
- Lab order is provided by us.
- You receive a collection kit for saliva, urine, or finger stick to collect at home and mail to the lab. Some tests require a blood draw at a local lab.
- You receive the results by email within 2-3 weeks.
- Got insurance? Some tests are covered. Call 800 385-7863 for more information.
- Practitioner phone consultations available, some included with test.
Restricted BH4 cofactor availability has been suggested as an etiologic factor in:
- Neurological Disease - Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease, Autism, Depression, DOPA-responsive Dystonia
- Insulin Resistance
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Inborn-errors of metabolism: Phenylketonuria, Hyperphenylalaninemia
Neopterin is a marker of inflammation, allowing detection and monitoring of inflammatory processes. The origin of the inflammation may be the small intestine pathology that so often requires treatment in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Neopterin is elevated in:
- Autoimmune diseases: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus, and Atopic Asthma
- Malignant diseases
- Psychiatric disorders
- Sleep-disordered breathing
- Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Read the Neopterin and Biopterin White Paper for more information!
About the Manufacturer
Metametrix Clinical Laboratory has merged with Genova Diagnostics!
Much of the healthcare industry is focused on treating symptoms rather than investigating underlying causes. Metametrix and Genova Labs offer testing to improve health by providing clinical laboratory tests that identify nutritional imbalances and toxicities underlying chronic diseases.
If the Metametrix test you want is not listed here please call 941 371-7997, we can get it for you.
You may order lab tests online. Coolect your sample. Mail back to the lab.
Lab order is provided by us.
You receive a collection kit for urine. saliva, blood draw or fingerstick. Blood draw is done at the lab of your choice and a small fee may apply.
You receive the results via email.
Phone consultations available.
Check out our Metametrix Genova Test Selection Guide!