This test assesses hydroxyestrogens in urine, providing a rapid, convenient way to evaluate clinical interventions (including hormone therapy, diet, and lifestyle changes) aimed at optimizing estrogen metabolism. Estrogen metabolites provide valuable clinical information regarding cancer risk. Not Available to New York Residents.
- Purchase on our secure website.
- Lab order is provided by us.
- You receive a collection kit for saliva, urine, or finger stick to collect at home and mail to the lab. Some tests require a blood draw at a local lab.
- You receive the results by email within 2-3 weeks.
- Got insurance? Some tests are covered. Call 800 385-7863 for more information.
- Practitioner phone consultations available, some included with test.
The potential impact of estrogen on a person’s health and well-being is enormous.
Estrogen can exert a strong influence in diverse conditions such as:
• Breast cancer
• Prostate cancer
• Heart disease
• Autoimmune disorders
Recent scientific advances into estrogen metabolism have shed new light on more
effective clinical interventions in estrogen-dependent conditions.
Estrogen metabolites provide valuable clinical information regarding cancer risk. Two significant metabolites that can be accurately assessed are 16 alpha-hydroxyestrone (16 alpha-OHE1) and 2-hydroxyestrone (2-OHE1).
• 16 alpha-OHE1 is a powerful metabolite that stimulates target tissues. Levels can rise in response to obesity, alcohol consumption, and toxic exposure. High levels of this potent metabolite are linked to increased risk and poorer prognosis in conditions linked to estrogen excess such as breast cancer and lupus.
• 2-OHE1 is a metabolite that binds weakly to cell receptors and may slow cell proliferation. Excessive levels of 2-OHE1 may increase the risk of osteoporosis in post-menopausal women with low estrogen.
The ratio between 2-OHE1 and 16 alpha-OHE1 is the key to optimizing health.
Treatments that increase the 2:16 alpha-OHE1 ratio help to reduce the risk of estrogendependent disease. Using this assessment, practitioners canmonitor the impact of dietary intervention (flaxseed, soy products, cruciferous vegetables or derivatives like indole-3-carbinol and diindolylmethane, omega-3 fatty acids) and exercise. The ratio also allows for accurate monitoring of clinical safety and effectiveness of hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
The Estrogen Metabolism Assessment is designed for both premenopausal and postmenopausal women. It can be performed using serum or urine. Serum sampling provides a direct assessment of circulating estrogen metabolites. Urine testing offers convenient, noninvasive sample collection.
About the Manufacturer
Genova Diagnostics and Metametrix have merged.
Genova Diagnostics is a global leader in functional laboratory testing, pioneering innovative new approaches to personalized medicine.
These tests focus on wellness, and prevention and allow you to take an active role in managing your health.Functional testing is designed to help identify problems before chronic conditions and diseases develop. Unlike traditional labs that focus on disease pathology, Genova and Metametrix specializes in comprehensive panels that combine standard and innovative biomarkers to provide a more complete understanding of specific biological systems. Insurance billing for these tests requires a phone consult with one of our practitioners to determine which test is right for you and to assign the code required by your insurance company.
Want to find the cause of your symptoms?
1. Purchase your labtest online.
2. The Lab order is provided by us.
3. Collect your saliva, urine, or fingerstick at home and mail to the lab. Some tests require blood draw at a lab of your choosing.
4. You receive the results by email within 2-3 weeks.
5. Practitioner phone consultations available, some included with test.
Not available in MD. Some tests not available in NY.
How do I know what test I need?
1. If you are already working with a practitioner ask them.
2. Call our office to schedule a phone consultation and get recommendations from our wellness practitioners.
3. Use our Genova-Metametrix test selection guide.