D'Adamo Personalized Nutrition Deflect Lectin Blocker (Type A) 120vc are carbohydrate-binding proteins or glycoproteins.’ William Boyd therefore coined the term lectin in 1954, deriving it from the Latin word legere meaning ‘to choose.’ Boyd was also the first researcher to identify the blood type specificity of many common dietary lectins.
Typically, lectins can bind to many of the carbohydrate antigens found in the gut and immune system, causing a variety of health problems. These can include intestinal dysbiosis, bowel hyperpermiability, immune dysfunction, food sensitivities and systemic inflammation. This is usually accomplished by direct agglutination of the target cells. Lectins can occur in very common foods in the diet, and the majority are specific for the carbohydrates of the ABO blood typing system. In one study, the edible parts of 29 of 88 foods tested, including common salad ingredients, fresh fruits, roasted nuts, and processed cereals were found to possess significant lectin-like activity as assessed by hemagglutination and bacterial agglutination assays.
Several common lectins, in particular, wheat germ agglutinin, are known to bind to the insulin receptor and mimick the hormonal effects of insulin on adipose tissue, an under-appreciated action which can account for why individuals on high carbohydrate diets often have difficulty contolling their weight. Thus, lectin blocking is a safe and rational method for enhancing weight loss.
One of Dr. D’Adamo’s most popular and foundational formulas, Deflect® has a wide range of applications, including
Assisting weight loss
Aiding in maintaining the integrity of the digestive system.
When you eat a food containing a protein lectin not Right 4 Your Type, these lectins adhere to carbohydrate receptors throughout the intestines. While the reaction takes place in the gut, the harmful effects can reveal themselves throughout the body, in symptoms ranging from bloating and allergy-like conditions to weight gain and lethargy.
Even if you were to follow the Blood Type Diet®, repeated lectin response leaves behind years of damage. Deflect goes to work right away on existing lectin damage, 'scrubbing' away harmful lectin attachments.
Minimize lectin damage from the avoid foods you eat, and repair existing lectin damage with Dr. D’Adamo’s revolutionary Deflect formulas.
Since each blood type is susceptible to different lectins, Dr. D’Adamo has designed formulas specific to each blood type.
Other Ingredients: Vegetable Cellulose, Silca, Magnesium, Trisilicate, and Magnesium Stearate
About the Manufacturer
Some of the benefits of using North American Pharmacal Right For Your Type products:
- A Superior Philosophy of Employment. When you know specific information about your biochemical individuality, using supplements can become much more effective. For example, in blood type A, the absorption of certain minerals is enhanced by pairing them with specific amino acids.
- Proper Dosage. Many supplements have unnecessary high doses of nutrients, introducing the risk of supplement overdose at one end, and wastefulness at the other. When we target supplement design to the individual, it assures not just the effective dose, but rather the proper dose: the minimum amount necessary to do the job.
- Unstinting Quality. I've been designing and testing natural products for over three decades. Over the years I've seen many changes; small, artisan-based companies that took pride in their delivery, education and techniques being replaced by corporate systems indistinguishable from any other industry, staffed by people who would just as soon sell you a mobile phone contract. Under these circumstances cost-cutting becomes company policy. But does the cost-cutting lead to loss of quality? Very often. At NAP we just don't think that way. These are the same supplements that I give my kids, prescribe to my patients, and take myself. Larch is a good example. Most larch products in the marketplace are food-grade, with a high gum content. NAP always uses nutraceutical grade larch.
- Science Based. Quality involves much more than just delivering what is promised on the label. For example, NAP uses a sea-plant derived calcium to make its PHYTOCAL series of individualized multiminerals. It is only found in one location in the ocean off the Beara Peninsula, in South Western Ireland. Our sea calcium grows for around five years in the crystal clear, pollution-free Atlantic waters, absorbing minerals and nutrients from the sea. The seaweed then falls to the ocean bed, where it becomes calcified. Local tidal patterns wash and gather it into one deep bed, the location of which is known to only a few people. We were the first company to market larch arabinogalactan (ARA6), now a staple of natural immune enhancement, almost twenty years ago.
- Education, Not Marketing. Many stores will not stock NAP products because they consider the educational curve 'too steep.' Why spend an hour with a client explaining lectins (and perhaps educating yourself) when the vitamin E and calcium on the shelf just sell themselves? We strive to deliver high quality educational content with our products. Our customer service folks are enthusiastic followers of the diet themselves. When you see an NAP product on a store shelf, that's the sign of a store that is really interested in taking the time to help people.